How I Met Your Mother Cast Talks Season 4
Four cast members of CBS' clever flashback-laden sitcom "How I Met Your Mother" (Alyson Hannigan, Neil Patrick Harris, Cobie Smulders and Josh Radnor - Jason Segel was off filming a movie) appeared at an Emmy event in Manhattan, earlier this week. What did they and the show co-creators Carter Bays and Pam Fryman reveal about the show and its upcoming season?
* Alyson Hannigan loves having to constantly wear different wigs and argues with the producers that Future Ted is absent-minded and can never remember exactly what Lily's hair looked like at a given point,
* The cast and crew have just as much fun mocking Cobie Smulders' being Canadian as the characters have mocking Robin,
* Barney and Robin as a couple wasn't part of the original plan, but once they saw how Neil Patrick Harris and Cobie Smulders played off each other in "Zip, Zip, Zip" (the Laser Tag episode), the writers started contemplating it.
* The writers know exactly what the last episode will be, but they would never ask CBS for a fixed finale date as did the writers of 'Lost',
* Sarah Chalke will be back as Stella next year, but they would not reveal if she will be seen much (therefore, if she is indeed 'the mother'),
* The writers keep a bible of all the different references made on the show, giving them opportunities to do a callback to some earlier episodes,
* Future Ted as an unreliable narrator gives the writers some wiggle room in terms of continuity,
* Cobie said she and the producers have half-seriously considered doing a Robin Sparkles mall concert tour, but it would have to be only in Canadian malls,
* The writers are open to bringing Britney Spears back on the show, but they hadn't put a lot of thought into "how Abby fits into the larger picture of season 4" yet,
* The mother has already appeared on the show, she was the woman holding a yellow umbrella, and she was played by Pam Fryman,
* The writers have an amazing plan for the goat, which will resolve the 30th/31st day birthday confusion from "The Goat" episode,
* Carter regrets having Future Ted say at the end of "The Pineapple Incident" that he never did find out what the pineapple was about, because he'd really like to tell that story. Perhaps the story could be told by Future Marshall,
* Future Ted is telling this story over a single day,
* Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie who play the kids, filmed very important bits of dialogue in early season 2 and know who the mother is,
* Although babies normally kill sitcoms, Marshall and Lily may have kids as this is a show about the major milestones in people's lives as they move from their 20s into their 30s.
"How I Met Your Mother" begins its 4th season September 22 at 8:30/7:30c on CBS.